Dear POLLEN Members and Friends,
We are pleased to share with you the latest publications, vacancies, CfPs and more from our lively community. We aim to send the newsletter on the 25th of every month.
Has your POLLEN node NOT been introduced by us? If your node is keen to share your work in upcoming newsletters, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We also welcome proposals for blog posts on the POLLEN blog – please contact us at the same email address with any ideas!
With best regards from your POLLEN Secretariat
Kelly Dorkenoo, Torsten Krause, Mine Islar and Wim Carton
IMPORTANT! To get the best view of this newsletter, please enable the media content at the top of the e-mail.
- Lai, H. L. (2023) “From Protected Spaces to Hybrid Spaces: Mobilizing A Place-Centered Enabling Approach for Justice-Sensitive Grassroots Innovation Research”, Environmental Innovation and Societal Transitions 47:100726. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eist.2023.100726
- Bourguignon, N., (2023) “Connected and disrupted hydrosocial territories: the making of modern socionatures through inter-basin water transfers”, Journal of Political Ecology 30(1), 240–273. doi: https://doi.org/10.2458/jpe.2848
Events & Announcements
- Conference ‘Critical Agrarian Studies in the 21st Century’. It will be a big event to celebrate 50th year of Journal of Peasant Studies and 30th year of La Via Campesina, bringing together established names in the field and the promising young scholars as well as social movements representatives. The call for papers is open.
When: 10-12 October, 2023
More info: https://peasantjournal.org/news/international-conference-critical-agrarian-studies-in-the-21st-century/
- Lecturer position at University of Manchester. The University of Manchester seeks to appoint a Permanent Lecturer in Global Development (Teaching and Research) researching and teaching on Gender and Development and/or Climate Change and Development. It welcomes applications from exceptional candidates who can contribute to research and research-informed teaching that complements existing offerings in the Global Development Institute (GDI) and can make a significant contribution to GDI’s undergraduate and postgraduate teaching programmes on Global Development. The post will be attached to the GDI’s Social Development teaching cluster and to one or more of GDI’s research groups. More info: https://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/CYI327/lecturer-in-global-development-teaching-and-research
Deadline: April 27th, 2023
- PhD position at Greenwich University. The project will study the effects that resource abundance has on a range of socio-economic indicators and will aim at explaining how and why some countries experience a resource curse while others manage to avoid it. The project will include more than 150 countries observed from 1970 to 2020, and it will combine macroeconomic and microeconomic quantitative analysis. It will use a relatively new econometric tool, the synthetic control method (SCM). There will be a possibility to cooperate with ISS, Erasmus University Rotterdam. More info: https://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/CYP045/phd-studentship-the-political-economy-of-extractive-industries-across-the-world-a-synthetic-control-analysis-from-1970-to-2020. Deadline: April 30th, 2023
- PhD position at Utrecht University. Faculty of Geosciences. PhD project in redefining nature-based solutions: ecology and governance perspectives; using a decolonization lens to explore the historical roots of the Nature Based Solutions concept and how it has been adapted to Global South contexts. More info: https://www.uu.nl/en/organisation/working-at-utrecht-university/jobs/phd-position-in-redefining-nature-based-solutions-ecology-and-governance-perspectives-10-fte
Deadline: May 4th, 2023
- PhD position at Norwegian University of Science and Technology. The Department of Geography has an opening for a research fellow in human-environment geography as part of the project, Understanding the Mjøsa Social Ecological System (MjøsaSØS). It is affiliated with the Political Ecology and Landscape Governance research group and Mission Mjøsa. More info: https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/244241/phd-candidate-in-geography Deadline: June 5th, 2023
- Postdoc position at University of Colorado Boulder. The Western Water Assessment (WWA), within the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences at CU Boulder, is seeking applications for an engaged social science Post-Doctoral Associate to focus on climate adaptation and justice in frontline communities in our region. The Post-Doc will collaborate with a frontline community to co-produce actionable or usable science that will directly support resilience or adaptation. More info: https://jobs.colorado.edu/jobs/JobDetail/?jobId=47233.
Deadline: May 3rd, 2023
- Call for papers: We are pleased to invite papers to our panel titled Pastoral Mobilities and Ecological Variability: Responses to Socio-political Stressors and Contextual Adaptabilities in South Asia at the 19th International Union of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences (IUAES) World Congress- October 14 – 20, 2023, New Delhi. Please note that we may have some travel grants with the kind support of the Commission of Anthropology and the Environment to our panel. Details required for submission: Details of the authors along with their institutional affiliation. Title (maximum 20 words); Short abstract (maximum 75 words); A long abstract stating the subject and objectives of the proposal, highlighting its academic or practical relevance to the anthropological sciences (maximum 300 words). Three to five keywords. You may submit your paper abstract here: https://iuaes2023delhi.org/panelabstract.aspx. Deadline for submission is April 30, 2023. Please feel free to get in touch with me at (email@example.com) or the co-conveners of the panel Suraj Pratap Singh Bhati (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Ryan Unks (email@example.com), if you have any queries.
- Call for papers: The political ecology of Payments for Ecosystem Services: Assessing the value frameworks underpinning 15 years of PES research and practice. For those interested in critical analysis of Payments for Ecosystem Services (PES) programmes around the world, and other similar incentive-based mechanisms for ‘greening’ land use (e.g. agri-environmental schemes, REDD+, and green finance), please consider submitting an abstract to a panel we are organizing at the 17th International Society of Ecological Economics (ISEE) at Santa Marta, Colombia, 23-28 October 2023. This panel will interrogate the underlying value framings and constellations of power that have driven and continue to direct interest in PES interventions over the past 15 years. It also reflects on the driving forces that generate conditions which artificially hype environmental ‘solutions’ in the absence of a deeper political economic analysis of land use change and of human-nature relations. We particularly welcome contributions that can share grounded empirical experiences of these dynamics taking shape. For further details, please see the full description of the panel below. Please submit your abstract through this link, and select track 16 if you have a research focus in line with these interests. We really look forward to receiving your contributions and to have a fruitful and important discussion in Santa Marta! Please feel free to share this CfP with people who might be interested. Submission: https://2023.isecoeco.org/piotnetforms/abstract-submission/
Deadline: May 2, 2023.
- Call for presentations/participants: The Scientists’ Coalition and the Indigenous People’s INC Working Group are hosting an event entitled “Co-production of knowledge to end plastic pollution”, hosted by the City of Paris on the afternoon of the 26 of May 2023 in Paris, France. We welcome registrations for presentations from fellow Indigenous scientists and non-indigenous scientist allies who can speak to the co-production of knowledge to end plastic pollution. Information about the event including a definition of the co-production of knowledge is detailed in the concept note attached. If you cannot present in person, please consider sending a pre-recorded presentation instead (please let us know if this is what you intend to do). If you know of others who may be interested in attending or presenting, please share this invitation with them. While there are limited spots for this event, there may also be opportunities to present at our webinars or to post pre-recordings to our online site (currently under development). Please register your interest as soon as possible. Should you have any questions, please contact my esteemed colleagues, Idun Rognerud and Rufino Varea from the Scientists’ Coalition for an Effective Plastics Treaty Idun.Rognerud@niva.no and firstname.lastname@example.org. Ngā mihi maioha. Registration link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScOukRxGDL8Fewxa1BJmWFsXdXsqL7WOtK5A_Fw0Z04cx_8KQ/viewform .
- Call for Papers: Political Ecologies of the Far Right 2024 (PEFR 2024) Conference. Please send abstracts (max. 300 words) to email@example.com by Thursday 1st June 2023. Please include your full name, position and affiliation. Applicants will be notified of the outcome of the review process by the end of August. Registration will be open in September.
More info: https://pefr.network/pefr-conference-cfp-2024/
Other news items
- News from the institutional landscapes project, which investigates the assetization of farmland and agriculture and also offers space to guest writers. It is also meant to be used as a teaching resource. If you want to contribute to the glossary or any of the eight curated themes, please get in touch. More info: http://institutionallandscapes.org/startseite/glossary/
- Commentary by Adam David Morton on Nancy Fraser’s “Cannibal Capitalism” book: https://www.ppesydney.net/nancy-fraser-cannibal-capitalism/
2 thoughts on “April 2023 Update”
Thank you for these updates! I was wondering abou the link to the Call for papers: The political ecology of Payments for Ecosystem Services: Assessing the value frameworks underpinning 15 years of PES research and practice. I might submit.
Thank you! Claudia
Here it is! Thanks for noticing, it is now added to the post as well. https://2023.isecoeco.org/piotnetforms/abstract-submission/